Overview

The Big Getter Voyage Map
click here to follow along


In the summer of 2008 I will be taking a pontoon houseboat down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis St. Paul to the Gulf of Mexico. It will be my home and vessel as I descend the mighty Mississip. This will be a healthy and relaxing trip, an adventure worth experiencing, and a good-livin-hell-of-a-time. For six years this trip has been living as a fantastical goal within me. I know the beginning is around the bend, and that makes me smile like I just lost my training wheels.

The boat is not traditional in many ways except for that it floats. It is a unique HPB (human powered boat) that in basic appearance looks like a hybrid between a cataraft on steroids and a traditional houseboat. There are four different systems of propulsion that can be operated individually or in conjunction with one another. Its primary form of power comes from two pedal-driven-propeller stations located at the stern on both sides of the boat. They resemble recumbent bicycles with a propeller instead of wheels. In addition, there is a set of oars for rowing on the front deck. The boat also has, for those occasions when the current is strong, sweeps that can be operated from the top of the cabin. Sweeps are long oars that resemble gigantic hockey sticks. They protrude fore and aft of the boat and are used for steering and lateral movement but not necessarily to gain downstream momentum. Lastly there is an outboard motor that can be used in emergencies, for safety and to make up lost time.

The 3-foot diameter inflatable pontoons are 22 feet long and are attached to a frame constructed from 2” Aluminum pipe. The frame also doubles as the skeletal structure, which supports a hanging floor, two side decks, a front deck and a cabin. Plywood that is cut to the right dimensions and fastened to the aluminum pipe forms the floor and decks. As for the cabin, it is waterproof nylon, canvas and mesh all sewn together and fitted around the aluminum pipe. Inside the cabin there are four berths, a living area, a kitchen and storage. Oh yeah there is a bathroom too, outfitted with all the amenities a camping king would expect.

From June through August I’ll weave approximately 1800 miles through 10 states to the ever-nearing Gulf Coast. Geographically speaking the Mississippi River is separated into two sections, the upper and lower, with the dividing point lying at the confluence with the Ohio River. Both section are as unique as they are long and will offer a river front glimpse at Middle America. One major difference of the Upper Mississippi is that it is a series of pools created by channel dams, while the lower half is free flowing. Due to this, the average current will be much faster downstream of the Ohio River. Along the way I will ‘lock through’ 27 locks, visit the homes of Mark Twain and Elvis, dodge barge traffic, and do some fishing and sunbathing. I intend to explore as much as possible, learn what I can and enjoy life to brim.

If you’d like to come, believe me, I want you to. In fact, I want as much company as possible. The cabin will sleep four, so I hope to have three others with me at all times. The invitation is open to everyone and anyone, family, friends, friends of friends, and especially to characters I meet along the way. There is an itinerary in the blog archive that will help you choose when, where and for how long you would like to join the adventure. Don't worry; I expect the trip will take me 100 days, so you'll have all summer to fit in a Mississippi get-a-way.

Navigation Tips

Once you have selected a blog from the blog archive you will have to scroll down to view it.  ;)  

Blog Archive

Fireworks and fictitious characters

I left Big Getter at the Burlington yacht club and though they were having a pig roast that seemed like a hoot and holler I was excited to get to Hannibal for the fourth of July celebrations. We drove Carlton's rent a car through Iowa's flooded farm landsand checked into the hotel Clemens. Hannibal was quaint with a tinge of kitsch. Every other business was named Becky, Tom or Huck. There was the Twain dinette and Sawyer creek. Where was Jim? I suppose I missed Jim's coffee shop but there probably is one. I wonder what the great writer would pen now in response to all the name calling? Hannibal's streets were converted into a carnival. Joy rides attracted all ages. I was fortunate to see the championship fence white washing competition. It was a messy affair between three 'Toms' clad in suspenders and tattered hats. Anticipation was in the air and the fireworks show lay on all our tongues. The first flare shot high into the night sky and burst green. The crowd clapped and all of the hyped-up-on-cotton-candy kids sat still. One mother next to me called to her son, it sounded like my name. I asked the kid what his name was. "Justus" he said. He was about eight years old. I told him that that was my name too. We were both thinking the same thing but he asked first, "How do you spell it?" I was about to answer but he spoke up like a brother unwilling to share his toy, "I spell it J-u-s-t-u-s." "Me too" I said proudly. Although we did not shake hands we shared a nod as if to simply say "cool." The fireworks lasted plenty long and my favorite were the ones that exploded into weeping willows and their embers burned long and slow. Tomorrow Carlton will help Karin and Steven run their shuttle and the Big Getter's torch will be passed on once again.

No comments:

Contributors