Overview

The Big Getter Voyage Map
click here to follow along


In the summer of 2008 I will be taking a pontoon houseboat down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis St. Paul to the Gulf of Mexico. It will be my home and vessel as I descend the mighty Mississip. This will be a healthy and relaxing trip, an adventure worth experiencing, and a good-livin-hell-of-a-time. For six years this trip has been living as a fantastical goal within me. I know the beginning is around the bend, and that makes me smile like I just lost my training wheels.

The boat is not traditional in many ways except for that it floats. It is a unique HPB (human powered boat) that in basic appearance looks like a hybrid between a cataraft on steroids and a traditional houseboat. There are four different systems of propulsion that can be operated individually or in conjunction with one another. Its primary form of power comes from two pedal-driven-propeller stations located at the stern on both sides of the boat. They resemble recumbent bicycles with a propeller instead of wheels. In addition, there is a set of oars for rowing on the front deck. The boat also has, for those occasions when the current is strong, sweeps that can be operated from the top of the cabin. Sweeps are long oars that resemble gigantic hockey sticks. They protrude fore and aft of the boat and are used for steering and lateral movement but not necessarily to gain downstream momentum. Lastly there is an outboard motor that can be used in emergencies, for safety and to make up lost time.

The 3-foot diameter inflatable pontoons are 22 feet long and are attached to a frame constructed from 2” Aluminum pipe. The frame also doubles as the skeletal structure, which supports a hanging floor, two side decks, a front deck and a cabin. Plywood that is cut to the right dimensions and fastened to the aluminum pipe forms the floor and decks. As for the cabin, it is waterproof nylon, canvas and mesh all sewn together and fitted around the aluminum pipe. Inside the cabin there are four berths, a living area, a kitchen and storage. Oh yeah there is a bathroom too, outfitted with all the amenities a camping king would expect.

From June through August I’ll weave approximately 1800 miles through 10 states to the ever-nearing Gulf Coast. Geographically speaking the Mississippi River is separated into two sections, the upper and lower, with the dividing point lying at the confluence with the Ohio River. Both section are as unique as they are long and will offer a river front glimpse at Middle America. One major difference of the Upper Mississippi is that it is a series of pools created by channel dams, while the lower half is free flowing. Due to this, the average current will be much faster downstream of the Ohio River. Along the way I will ‘lock through’ 27 locks, visit the homes of Mark Twain and Elvis, dodge barge traffic, and do some fishing and sunbathing. I intend to explore as much as possible, learn what I can and enjoy life to brim.

If you’d like to come, believe me, I want you to. In fact, I want as much company as possible. The cabin will sleep four, so I hope to have three others with me at all times. The invitation is open to everyone and anyone, family, friends, friends of friends, and especially to characters I meet along the way. There is an itinerary in the blog archive that will help you choose when, where and for how long you would like to join the adventure. Don't worry; I expect the trip will take me 100 days, so you'll have all summer to fit in a Mississippi get-a-way.

Navigation Tips

Once you have selected a blog from the blog archive you will have to scroll down to view it.  ;)  

Blog Archive

Day 39, 20 Miles - below Lock 20 to Goose Island

Bill Shaw and I

What a beautiful site. The two boats side by side make me proud.

Who are these two guys?

Bridge at Quincy

Goose Island Sunset

I would like to apologize to everyone I've ever been camping with that I hoo-hummed when they complained about their mosquito bites. Last night I got chewed up royally and have been complaining and cursing between scratches. This totally sucks. Rhys, I feel for you. I must have over 50 bite on my right foot and several hundred on my whole body, good thing I've been wearing underwear. Lynn, your mosquito net gifts will be employed immediately. I must not have slept more than 20 minutes at a time before BBBbbZzzZZzzzzzz would prompt me to slap myself awake. It was miserable. I can remember just waiting for daybreak so that I could get the heck out. Finally the sun cracked and I was up and working like a top. Simultaneously I had the coffee going, the anchor up and scratched my back into a gnarly mess before Kathy had woke up. We were safely out of mosquito country and lounging on top of the cabin by 6:00 am. A few hours downstream and several barges later I called the Evangeline guys to see if they had any advice on Quincy. "Get down here" Bill said, "NBC wants to do an interview with us." "I'm half an hour out" I exclaimed. Kathy and I got there in no time and were cruising around with a camera crew. The interview went well and afterwards we met up with Bill Shaw a local, who's brother I had met up in Moline. He gave us a grand tour of Quincy and offered to take us shopping which we declined but appreciated the tour so much. Quincy has a number of very regal estates that evidently the old tug captains bought. A half mile downstream we hit Lock 21 and luckily got squeezed in before the south bound Prosperity locked through. We enjoyed  taco salad as the sun set and then crawled into bed with the security of newly installed mosquito nets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, if you can't have Rhys sleeping nearby as mosquito bait, then you need mosquito netting. Everyone knows that American mosquitos prefer Welsh blood, but will settle for domestic blood in a pinch.

Pa

Anonymous said...

I remember night 1 vividly sleeping on top of Big Getter freezing w/ just my flannel sheet and getting eaten alive. It was a beautiful night to be under the stars, but the mosquitos were brutal. Up with deet!

Anonymous said...

The mosquitos that got me were Mexican mosquitos on a border raid, particularly nasty and only after the good stuff.

Mid-Western mosquitos have simpler tastes, Welsh blood might be too rich for them.

Rhys

Contributors