Overview

The Big Getter Voyage Map
click here to follow along


In the summer of 2008 I will be taking a pontoon houseboat down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis St. Paul to the Gulf of Mexico. It will be my home and vessel as I descend the mighty Mississip. This will be a healthy and relaxing trip, an adventure worth experiencing, and a good-livin-hell-of-a-time. For six years this trip has been living as a fantastical goal within me. I know the beginning is around the bend, and that makes me smile like I just lost my training wheels.

The boat is not traditional in many ways except for that it floats. It is a unique HPB (human powered boat) that in basic appearance looks like a hybrid between a cataraft on steroids and a traditional houseboat. There are four different systems of propulsion that can be operated individually or in conjunction with one another. Its primary form of power comes from two pedal-driven-propeller stations located at the stern on both sides of the boat. They resemble recumbent bicycles with a propeller instead of wheels. In addition, there is a set of oars for rowing on the front deck. The boat also has, for those occasions when the current is strong, sweeps that can be operated from the top of the cabin. Sweeps are long oars that resemble gigantic hockey sticks. They protrude fore and aft of the boat and are used for steering and lateral movement but not necessarily to gain downstream momentum. Lastly there is an outboard motor that can be used in emergencies, for safety and to make up lost time.

The 3-foot diameter inflatable pontoons are 22 feet long and are attached to a frame constructed from 2” Aluminum pipe. The frame also doubles as the skeletal structure, which supports a hanging floor, two side decks, a front deck and a cabin. Plywood that is cut to the right dimensions and fastened to the aluminum pipe forms the floor and decks. As for the cabin, it is waterproof nylon, canvas and mesh all sewn together and fitted around the aluminum pipe. Inside the cabin there are four berths, a living area, a kitchen and storage. Oh yeah there is a bathroom too, outfitted with all the amenities a camping king would expect.

From June through August I’ll weave approximately 1800 miles through 10 states to the ever-nearing Gulf Coast. Geographically speaking the Mississippi River is separated into two sections, the upper and lower, with the dividing point lying at the confluence with the Ohio River. Both section are as unique as they are long and will offer a river front glimpse at Middle America. One major difference of the Upper Mississippi is that it is a series of pools created by channel dams, while the lower half is free flowing. Due to this, the average current will be much faster downstream of the Ohio River. Along the way I will ‘lock through’ 27 locks, visit the homes of Mark Twain and Elvis, dodge barge traffic, and do some fishing and sunbathing. I intend to explore as much as possible, learn what I can and enjoy life to brim.

If you’d like to come, believe me, I want you to. In fact, I want as much company as possible. The cabin will sleep four, so I hope to have three others with me at all times. The invitation is open to everyone and anyone, family, friends, friends of friends, and especially to characters I meet along the way. There is an itinerary in the blog archive that will help you choose when, where and for how long you would like to join the adventure. Don't worry; I expect the trip will take me 100 days, so you'll have all summer to fit in a Mississippi get-a-way.

Navigation Tips

Once you have selected a blog from the blog archive you will have to scroll down to view it.  ;)  

Day 71, 6 Miles - MM 443 to Vicksburg

Breakfast in bed is nothing compared to what happened this morning. Kathy and I were enjoying our morning coffee on the roof when a biplane buzzed us. We waved enthusiastically as they flew right of our stern. Downstream they arced back around and started a landing descent. They floated right next to our boat and beached the plane on the same sand bar. Now these were visitors of a different style, rednecks I doubted, but if so it had to be a camo clad Hans Solo and Cewbaka with a mullet. Two men emerged about the time I had climbed onto the bank. As they walked up one of them said "I got a phone call about you last night." That took me by surprise and I asked who the phone call was from. "Susan Chiarito" he answered. Oh yeah. She is the cousin of a friend of mine and had been expecting me soon. The four of us chatted for a while and they were intrigued by Big Getter and said that they wanted to make the same trip but by plane. I eventually asked them advice on where to dock or anchor in Vicksburg. Dan said "well, do you want to see what you're up against from the air?" "Yeah." I sprang into action like the owner of a winning lottery ticket and was in the plane before Dan had climbed off my boat. He took us downriver at the same height as a tug boat pilot house (which is relatively low for a plane) and showed me some back channels as well as his business site. I don't know if you remember me commenting on the Army Corp boat with the crane on it but now I know what it does. Dan owns a construction company that makes the concrete blankets that the Corp uses to contain the sides of the river with. The giant crane is used to clear the river banks in order to lay the concrete blanket down. We continued to Vicksburg and up the Yazoo River where we landed to check out the water front. It was a suitable for the Big Getter so we took back off. He flew me over the town and then up to the industrial harbor. We came back around to where Big Getter and Kathy were waiting and I got a few arial photos of the boat. It was a fantastic morning and one that I will remember for ever. Thanks. After breakfast Kathy, who was a little jealous but very gracious, and I continued down to Vburg to where I knew I could put the boat.

Hans Solo and Chewy pulling up

I wish Big Getter were in this photo for some perspective.
It would be very very small, probably about the size of the index finger of your cursor

The concrete strips used to form the blankets

Big Getter about 5 mile upstream of Vicksburg

No comments:

Contributors